Realme CEO Announces Dawn of 5G Era

Realme X2 Pro smartphone (Source: Realme)

On December 2, CEO of Chinese smartphone brand Realme, Li Bingzhong, said that next year the company will only release 5G devices, calling curtains on the age of 4G. He also said that the company will cover the multiple price points, from phones starting at 1000 yuan, to the high end flagships, in order to popularize the next generation wireless technology.

SEE ALSO: OPPO Reno 3 Pro 5G to Become Thinnest Dual-Mode 5G Phone

Last week, the company announced their first 5G device, the X50. Realme has been consistently growing in popularity, ranking 7th in global smartphone shipments during the third quarter of 2019. The company intends to be the first brand to release dual-mode 5G devices in multiple price segments, increasing the accessibility of 5G in the Chinese market.

Realme is looking to make 5G devices affordable given that many of the current handsets on the market supporting 5G exist in the premium segment. The company broke into the Chinese market in 2019, and is looking to increase its market share with the implementation of this 5G strategy.


If you want to explore China’s tech ecosystem but don’t know where to start, check out DecodeChina, a one-week immersion program organized by insiders from Pandaily. The latest installment will take place in Beijing and Shenzhen on January 13-19, 2020. Visit decode.pandaily.comto apply and secure a spot!