American automaker Tesla on February 10 released a charging report on Chinese EV owners during the country’s recent seven-day Spring Festival holiday. The report claims that during the period, Tesla’s domestic super charging stations were available 24 hours per day, and that their availability rate has remained above 99% throughout the whole year.
During the holiday, which stretched from January 31 to February 6, Tesla’s charging network provided services for EV owners 2.135 million times, with a cumulative mileage of 240 million kilometers, equivalent to more than 6,045 laps around the earth. The green charging services provided during the holiday is reportedly equivalent to a carbon dioxide emissions reduction of 56,000 tons.
Up to now, Tesla has built over 1,100 super charging stations and over 8,300 super charging piles across the Chinese mainland, covering more than 360 cities and regions.
The top five cities where Tesla owners chose to visit during the holiday were Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Chongqing. In addition, the travel by pure EVs in the Yangtze River Delta, the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region and the Pearl River Delta during the past holiday increased by 78%, 46% and 35% year-on-year, respectively.
During the Spring Festival, 88% of Tesla car owners choose to stay put to celebrate the New Year, while the other 12% traveled to other cities. In particular, the southern island province of Hainan is a popular tourist destination during the Spring Festival every year. Tesla owners have accumulated 1,041,920 kilometers of mileage during the holiday, an increase of 116% from non-holiday times. During the recent Spring Festival, Tesla owners’ mileage increased by 154% year-on-year to 212,340 kilometers along the new charging line opened on June 19 last year, which roughly follows the route of the historic Silk Road.