On March 4, Lei Jun participated in the first session of the 13th National People’s Congress (NPC) in 2018 as a member of the Beijing delegation. Lei Jun put forward two suggestions on how Chinese private enterprises could build up brands overseas under the “One Belt One Road” Initiative. Lei also put forward five suggestions for the development of China’s design industry.
In the past year, Xiaomi focused on the development of overseas markets and became an example of how Chinese technology companies can develop abroad. Based on the “One Belt One Road Initiative”, Lei Jun put forward two suggestions on how Chinese private enterprises can “go global” and build up brands overseas.
- Lei suggested that the Ministry of Commerce should take the lead in building the “Belt and Road Comprehensive Service Center and Platform” on the basis of existing diplomatic and consular support. The center could further establish a joint mechanism with relevant government departments, private chambers of commerce, financial insurance institutions and other parties to collect information of overseas investment projects and to prevent disorderly competition.
- In the context of the One Belt One Road Initiative, Lei Jun also suggested to elect “Made in China” Brand Ambassadors in “Belt and Road” countries. Local and international celebrities could serve as the ambassadors and promote goods made in China by cultural exchanges and marketing activities to enhance the reputation and influence of “Made in China” brands.
In addition, Lei Jun had put forward five suggestions on how to develop Chinese design industry and how to improve Chinese design:
- At the national level, the five-year plan will include the development and support of China’s creative design industry. Lei recommended that government gives priority to the development of industrial design and gives comprehensive support and special funds to areas with outdated and insufficient capacities.
- In cities with advanced manufacturing capabilities, Lei Jun proposed the establishment of professional design parks and preferential policies for settled enterprises, such as tax deduction. The park can also introduce special policies in talent attraction and other fields.
- Lei Jun suggested that the relevant departments step up efforts to introduce world-class design talent, devote special funds for international design leaders and top talent to set up workshops in universities, encourage teachers and students to participate in study abroad exchange programs, and promote the relevant personnel training.
- Lei Jun proposed to reward companies that have invested heavily in design and drive the design industry by giving them more publicity and resources.
- Finally, Lei Jun proposed to upgrade the existing national design awards, strive to create a world-class design award, and lead discourse in the global design industry.