Although Wuhan University’s cherry blossom season has passed, but following the cheery blossoms, the students of Wuhan University were able to welcome their famous alumnus and the CEO of Xiaomi, Lei Jun.
This is the first time that Lei Jun or Xiaomi has held a press conference at Wuhan University. Lei Jun returned to his alma mater to release Xiaomi’s third new product of the year – the Xiaomi 6X. The pink version of this new smartphone was even named Cherry Blossom Pink, after what Wuhan University is known for.
Both the entry-level Redmi series, and the high-end Mi Mix 2S have upgraded to full-screens, leaving behind the mid-ranged Mi phones. Thus it did not come as a surprise when the Mi 6X also adopted a 18:9 full screen.
- Screen: 5.99 inches, 18:9 aspect ratio, full screen, resolution of 2160 × 1080 pixels
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660
- RAM and storage: 4GB of RAM with 64GB of storage, 6GB of RAM with 64GB of storage, 6GB of RAM with 128GB of storage
- Rear cameras: 20MP main camera with Sony IMX486 sensor, f/1.75 aperture, 1.25μm pixels; 12MP secondary camera with Sony IMX376 sensor, 1.0μm pixels, f/1.75 aperture.
- Front-facing camera: 20MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX376 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, supports HDR, front selfie lights
- Battery: 3010mAh, supports Quick Charge 3.0
- Operating System: MIUI 9 based on Android 8.1
- Other: It also have fingerprint recognition at the back, supports facial recognition unlock. It has a USB Type-C jack and no 3.5mm headphone jack
Xiaomi 6X has a variety of color options, including Flame Red, Sand Gold, Glacier Blue, Black and Cherry Blossom Pink. For a product targeting offline sales, an appealing appearance will make increase its competitiveness.
At first glance, the appearance of Xiaomi 6X is similar to that of the previously released Redmi Note 5, but the former does not use a three-piece body design, and the back cover is more integrated. In addition, the Xiaomi 6X uses a hidden antenna design, making the entire phone look more sleek.
The Mi 6X has a thickness of 7.3 mm and a weight of 166 grams; it feels very light in hand. The four corners of the machine are more rounded than the Redmi Note 5 and last year’s Mi 5X. It has a larger curvature on the sides, which improves the grip.
In the few days that I had it, Xiaomi 6X gave me the first impression of a solid workmanship, and the red version is particularly exquisite. It is very difficult to pick out obvious flaws in today’s Mi phones, no matter if they are entry-level or high-end products.
In addition, another selling point of the Mi 6X is of course its photo-taking abilities.
Sony IMX 376 sensor, 20 MP, 1.0μm pixels, a large aperature of f/1. 75 are just some of the camera features. When taking photos under low light environments, there is a 4-to-1 pixel binning technology that forms 2μm pixels, theoretically perserving more details and reducing noise.
We also took pictures with the phone in less phone-friendly environments. The overall photo quality left a good impression on us, and we will bringing you a detailed review on the camera, performance and battery life of the Mi 6X in the near future.
The price of the different Mi 6X versions are 1599 yuan ($253), 1799 Yuan ($285), 1999 yuan ($316), for the 4GB + 64GB, 6GB + 64GB, and 6GB + 128 GB versions respectively.